Monday, February 8, 2010

Time Passing 2

Last week I explained some aspects of how to denote the passage of time in your writing. Today I will show how to denote a point in time and denote its passing with the next line or two. This is all within a 24 hour period.

* ~ * ~ *


Eyeliner, lipstick, powder (shaving, cologne, combing hair) – the ritual of getting ready for work was gnawing at me.

The pink sky with golden highlights placed a glazing on the treetops as the sun came up.

Breakfast was hours passed but there was at least two more hours until lunch.

Hidden from the high noon sun, I ate my sandwich in the shade of an oak tree.

The early afternoon rains had waned and kids were hustling home from school.

Suddenly rush hour was all around me as I sped down I-95 to Richmond.

I watched the evening news while the kids did their homework.

It was time to put the little ones to bed.

I glanced at my watch, Julie should be getting home from her date.

I was watching Johnny Carson/Jay Leno/David Letterman after the nightly news.

It was the haunting hour as the clock struck twelve.

With bleary eyes I stared at the glowing alarm, only four more hours until I had to get up.

* ~ * ~ *


As a side note, time is a variable which the writer must be aware of. Using the following line after an evening meal – "You kids be home before sunset." – has different connotations at different locales and seasons.

In Ohio, during the winter, it means they get to be out for approximate 15-30 minutes. During the summer it indicates a play time of almost 3-4 hours!

In Alaska, you can only say it once, late May, and you won't see your kids until early September.

Can you think of other ways to denote the passage of time in your writing?

No comments:

Post a Comment